Milby fingerprint analysis complete, next hearing scheduled

September 1, 2018

DIXON – A fingerprint analysis for the Dixon High School shooter is complete, and the state’s attorney is requesting discretionary sentencing in the case.

Additional prints were taken from Matthew A. Milby Jr., who appeared via video in Lee County court Friday, following Judge Charles T. Beckman granting the state’s motion Aug. 10.

State’s Attorney Matt Klahn said he’s waiting for the report to be released by the Illinois State Police, which is the lead investigating agency.

He also filed paperwork Aug. 17 to seek discretionary consecutive sentencing, and defense attorney Thomas D. Murray said he’s in the process of filing a response to the measure.

Certain charges carry mandatory consecutive sentencing, meaning the sentences must be served back to back rather than at the same time.

Discretionary sentencing would leave it up to the judge to decide with charges that don’t require consecutive sentencing.

Murray said he is also working on motions calling for a forensics expert and an expert to speak on behalf of changing the venue for the case.

Milby, 19, charged in the May 16 shooting, pleaded not guilty July 27 to amended charges: three counts of attempted murder, and four counts involving aggravated discharge of a firearm.

The first attempted murder charge involves shots fired at school resource officer Mark Dallas, and carries 20 to 80 years in prison, with a potential 20-year enhancement.

The other two involve shots fired at gym teacher Andrew McKay; each carries 6 to 30 years in prison, plus 20 years.

The first two counts of aggravated discharge of a firearm carry 10 to 45 years; the other two 6 to 30 years.

All require 85 percent of any sentence levied be served.

Milby is in Lee County Jail on $2 million bond. His next pretrial conference is 10:30 a.m. Sept. 28.

The DHS senior took a 9mm semi-automatic rifle to graduation practice in the Lancaster Gym shortly after 8 a.m. that Wednesday morning, fired at McKay, a gym teacher who happened to be walking down the same hallway, then took off running seconds later when confronted and pursued by Dallas.

Milby fired at Dallas outside the gym; the Dixon police officer returned fire, hitting Milby in the upper shoulder and the hip. Milby was arrested near his car, which he had parked in Page Park west of the school.

No one else was injured.

Update hourly