Power line falls at Bridgeport gas station, sparks fire
BRIDGEPORT — A primary power line fell down on top of a canopy at a city gas station on Saturday, causing a fire and forcing the utility company to shut off the power line as crews work to make repairs.
Around 1 p.m., numerous calls were made to 911 from passersby that a power line had fallen onto the canopy at the Valero gas station at 406 Huntington Turnpike, according to Deputy Fire Chief Lance Edwards.
The first unit at the scene reported there was a fire close to the gas pumps and a power line down. The firefighters quickly put out the fire with a dry chem extinguisher, Edwards said.
United Illuminating was notified of the downed line and de-energized power to the line. UI is reported that 34 customers are currently without power as of 2:54 p.m. Crews are on site and power is expected to be restored around 5:15 p.m.
There were no injuries reported from the incident.