Day in History: Mazeppa, Eyota schools open after delay for farm work
1993 – 25 years ago
• Rochester John Marshall behind outstanding play of running back Jason Barbes and linebacker Aaron Kelly beat Owatonna 34-21 in Big Nine Conference high school football play.
1968 – 50 years ago
• The Fillmore County Board of Commissioners will review a revised building plan. The revised plan reduces the jail size from a 26-prisoner to a 21-prisoner capacity.
• Collins Mill at Spring Valley, constructed in 1893 and used as the first light plant in town, will be demolished this week.
1943 – 75 years ago
• Mazeppa and Eyota opened schools after a week’s delay to make students available for farm work. Bus drivers for Eyota this year include William Waxweiler, Ernest Higgins, Elmer Kratz, H. C. Brobst and Herman Smith.
1918 – 100 years ago
• No more Ford cars will be produced during the war period as the company will devote its entire facilities to government work.