Humble ISD moves to digital-only application for free, reduced meals
Humble ISD is transitioning to a completely digital process when it comes to applying for free and reduced-priced meals for the 2018-2019 school year.
This service offers free or reduce-priced meals to students who qualify as per the National School Lunch Program.
It is important for families to take note of the move to online applications, explains an Humble ISD press release, because “It is urgent that families set up a School Café account (at www.schoolcafe.com).”
Families that are unable to apply electronically and require a paper application option may obtain one at the district’s Child Nutrition Center — 1705 Wilson Road, Building D.
Applications for free or reduced-price meals can be submitted at any point during the school year.
Free/Reduced-price meal eligibility criteria include, but are not limited to:
· Children living in a household that uses the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program
· Children living in a household that uses the Temporary Assistance for Needy Families
· Children living in a household that uses the Food Distribution Program on Indian Reservations
· Foster children under state or court care
· Children living in a household in which a member becomes unemployed
· Children living in a household with an income that falls within the requirements of the Federal Income Guidelines. Income eligibility guidelines can be found at http://www.squaremeals.org/Publications/IncomeEligibilityGuidelines.aspx#CACFP
Additionally, Humble ISD urges parents and guardians to keep up with the balance in their kids’ meal account. Once there are no remaining funds in the account, the child can still get full meals up to a negative $20 limit.
“Once a student’s account reaches -$20, the student will receive an alternate breakfast and/or lunch at no cost,” states the press release.
Parents will be contacted through School Messenger emails when a student’s account has no remaining funds. Additional alerts options are available through School Café. Deposits can be made to students’ meal accounts at the school or online through School Café.
For more information, visit www.humbleisd.net/childnutrition.