Cardinal George drops out of cancer clinical trial
CHICAGO (AP) — The Archdiocese of Chicago says retired Cardinal Francis George has been dropped from a clinical trial he had been participating in to treat a recurrence of cancer.
The archdiocese said Wednesday that recent scans have shown the trial’s experimental drug hasn’t been effective for George. However, doctors and others overseeing the University of Chicago Medicine trial told George information gathered from his case will benefit others.
George survived bladder cancer eight years ago but it has recurred near his right kidney. He stepped down as the leader of Chicago’s more than 2 million Roman Catholics in November, when Blase Cupich became Chicago’s archbishop.
The archdiocese says George’s cancer hasn’t spread to any vital organs. He is to meet with his doctors in January to discuss side effects from the cancer.