Cart Smarts: Learn 10 healthy-eating tips this month
March is National Nutrition Month, a campaign that was started by the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics. The goal is to bring attention to healthy eating habits and physical activity.
Below are the 10 key messages that the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics wants you to focus on during March (and ideally all year round).
• Understand the benefits of a healthy eating pattern.
• Choose food along with beverages that are good for your health.
• Include variety from all different food groups.
• Choose healthier on-the-go food options.
• Watch portion sizes at restaurants and in pre-packaged foods.
• Keep healthy eating simple. It does not need to be complicated.
• Be mindful of food safety.
• Aim to reduce food waste.
• Participate in activities that you enjoy, whether it is walking through a mall in colder months or going on a hike during the summer.
• Meet with a registered dietitian to discuss personalized nutrition advice.
There were many healthy recipes that I could have included with this article, but I chose to pick a side dish recipe that you can add to any main entrée. And with it being National Nutrition Month, I had to pick one that was focused on vegetables!