AP NEWS

Crews At Explosion In Taylor; One Person Injured

August 31, 2018

TAYLOR — A borough home collapsed tonight after a suspected gas leak caused an explosion that rocked the neighborhood.

Emergency crews were called to the home in the 200 block of Union Street around 8:40 p.m. Around 11 p.m., crews loaded a person on a stretcher into a waiting ambulance. There was no word on the extent of that person’s injuries or identity.

 

Debris from the blast is strewn on the street. The blast appears to have blown a window from a building about a block away.

Thomas Evans, who lives about a half block away, said he was sitting on his porch when he heard a loud explosion about 8:30 p.m. and a big plume of smoke.

“It shook the whole block,” Evans said. “It knocked pictures off my wall.”

After the explosion, PPL crews were working near the scene. According to the company’s outage map, about 547 customers in Taylor are without power. Power is expected to be restored around midnight.

Neighbors were evacuated and two centers were set up for evacuees. Only two families had arrived at the center set up at Taylor Hose & Engine Company No. 1, 614 Union St., according to Maureen Walsh, Red Cross lead disaster responder.

Check back for updates.

AP RADIO
Update hourly