Man Said To Admit Killing Boy
OCEANSIDE, Calif. (AP) _ A 20-year-old transient arrested Monday for an attack on a woman in Los Angeles admitted to killing a 9-year-old boy at a public restroom near the beach, police said.
The man was taken into custody Monday after allegedly stabbing and robbing a 40-year-old garment worker. Three co-workers chased him and held him until police arrived.
While being questioned about the assault, the man volunteered information about the slaying of Matthew Louis Cecchi (CHECK-ee), information that only the killer would know, said police Lt. Dave Heering.
``We’re confident we have the right suspect,″ Heering said.
Matthew, of Oroville, was at a family reunion at Oceanside Harbor with his mother, 3-year-old brother and other relatives when he was killed Saturday night.
His aunt had escorted him to a public restroom about 60 feet from their motorhome and noticed a young man follow him inside, police said. She became worried when the man exited but Matthew didn’t. She went in and found that the boy’s neck had been slit.
The boy’s aunt and other witnesses will be asked during a suspects’ lineup whether they recognize the man, whose name was not released. If so, charges could be filed as early as Tuesday, Heering said.
Heering said that while the man was making candid statements, a motive was still undetermined. He did not elaborate.