10 Things to Know for Tuesday
Your daily look at late-breaking news, upcoming events and the stories that will be talked about Tuesday:
1. UNIVERSITY OF MISSOURI OFFICIALS STEPPING DOWN AMID UPROAR
The system’s president and the head of its flagship campus say they’re leaving after months of student anger over the school’s handling of racial issues.
2. RUSSIA ACCUSED OF DOPING, COULD FACE BAN FROM SUMMER OLYMPICS
In Russia, “acceptance of cheating at all levels is widespread,” says a scathing report from the World Anti-Doping Agency.
3. OBAMA, NETANYAHU TRY TO RESET TIES
The U.S. and Israeli leaders’ meeting at the White House marks the first time they have talked face-to-face in more than a year.
4. OPPOSITION POISED FOR LANDSLIDE WIN IN MYANMAR
The results so far from the historic parliamentary elections signal a further loosening of the military’s stranglehold on the country.
5. SLAIN 6-YEAR-OLD’S FATHER ‘POSED NO THREAT,’ LAWYER SAYS
Footage from a police body camera allegedly shows the man with his hands up as officers in Louisiana fired into his car, severely wounding him and killing his son.
6. WHAT VOLKSWAGEN IS OFFERING CUSTOMERS ANGERED BY EMISSIONS-RIGGING
Owners of 482,000 of the automaker’s vehicles in the U.S. will be eligible for $1,000 in gift cards and vouchers.
7. COURT RULES AGAINST ‘ANGOLA 3’ INMATE
Reversing an earlier decision, the appeals court says Louisiana can try Albert Woodfox a third time for the murder of a prison guard more than 40 years ago.
8. WHY BELLY FAT MIGHT BE THE WORST KIND
Normal-weight people who carry their fat at their waistlines may be at higher risk of death than even obese people whose fat is more concentrated on the hips and thighs, research suggests.
9. MODIGLIANI PAINTING FETCHES $170.4 MILLION IN NEW YORK AUCTION
It’s the second-highest price ever achieved at auction for a work of art.
10. HOW OBAMA’S GETTING HIS MESSAGE OUT
The social media-savvy president has launched his own personal Facebook page.