AP NEWS

Garage fire damages belongings

January 4, 2019

The Ludington Fire Department responded to a garage fire at 304 N. Robert St. in Ludington at about 1 p.m. Friday.

Smoke rose from the inside of the garage, which is located east of the house and is not attached to the residence.

Two of the residents were home, but no one was injured, said Fire Chief Jerry Funk.

Firefighters entered the smoking garage and used water to extinguish the flames.

“There were flames inside the garage — heavy smoke and some flames. Two firemen entered with their air packs on and knocked the fire down,” Funk said.

There was no car inside the garage, but there were three propane tanks that firefighters kept from overheating.

The fire was extinguished in about five minutes, Funk said.

“The guys did a nice job of knocking it down,” he added.

The garage was damaged by smoke, however there was no major structural damage, Funk said.

But some of the garage’s contents were destroyed. Funk estimated there was $800 to $900 in damages to the residents’ belongings because of the fire.

The fire was believed to be caused by a faulty extension cord in the garage, Funk said.

Authorities were called to the scene of the fire at approximately 12:50 p.m. Minutes later, four fire vehicles, including two pump trucks, the rescue truck and medical car, as well as police cruisers, arrived at the scene.

AP RADIO
Update hourly