Plea Deal for Fatally Running Over Lowell Woman: 7-to-10 Years

August 3, 2018

Orengo Sun staff photos can be ordered by visiting our SmugMug site.

LOWELL -- Gloribel Orengo was always smiling and cracking jokes.

The light of the room, she did everything in her power to support her children.

That’s how family and friends remember the 44-year-old Lowell woman, who died two years ago after being run over by a car, according to authorities.

The man who allegedly drove that car over Orengo outside the Westminster Village apartments on Pawtucket Boulevard was back in court Thursday afternoon.

Orengo’s family members stared at Martin Tavares, 29, as he sat in Lowell Superior Court. He’s charged with leaving the scene of a personal injury accident causing death, operating a motor vehicle to endanger and receiving a stolen motor vehicle.

A plea deal is on the table. The Middlesex District Attorney’s Office has offered a sentence of 7 to 10 years in state prison, followed by probation.

Lowell Superior Court Judge Robert Ullman will now look over victim-impact statements and other facts about the case in the next couple of weeks. The next hearing in the case is Aug. 13.

“Something is better than nothing,” Jaslyn Rosario, Orengo’s niece, said outside the courtroom after Thursday’s hearing. “We’re all coming to terms because many times we’ve walked out of this courtroom upset.”

She said the family has been worried that Tavares will only receive probation.

“Whether he murdered her or killed her, she’s not here,” Rosario said.

Rosario’s father, Luis Pacheco, is Orengo’s brother. He said that Tavares should be sentenced for at least 10 years.

“The fact is there’s a lost life,” Pacheco said. “She’s not coming back.”

Daniel Harren, assistant district attorney, is prosecuting the case.

After looking over the victim-impact statements and other facts about the case, the judge will tell Harren and defense attorney Chris Reardon what sentence is appropriate.

“We’ll relay it to the family, and he (Reardon) will relay it to his client,” Harren said.

Reardon declined to comment.

On Nov. 19, 2016, Lowell police say they were dispatched to the Westminster Village apartments on Pawtucket Boulevard at about 11:10 p.m. for a report of a woman who had sustained serious injuries in the parking lot.

Orengo was transported to Lowell General Hospital where she was pronounced dead.

Investigators learned that there had been a fight at a party inside one of the apartments and everyone was asked to leave. The altercation continued outside in the parking lot.

Orengo was allegedly struck twice in the head with a full bottle of liquor, and she was beaten and stomped.

In July of last year, Amarilies Huertas-Perez, 24, of Worcester, pleaded guilty to assault and battery with a dangerous weapon and assault and battery in connection with the incident, according to Elizabeth Vlock, a spokeswoman for the Middlesex District Attorney’s Office.

Huertas-Perez was sentenced to 2 1/2 years in the House of Correction and ordered to serve 7 months and 25 days of that sentence, while the balance was suspended for six years, according to Vlock.

After the beating, Tavares, of Lowell, allegedly ran over Orengo.

“We lost an important member of our family and we miss her dearly,” Rosario wrote in her victim-impact statement.

“I pray to God that I never see you again, as we will never see our wife, mother, sister, aunt, daughter ever again,” she later added in the victim-impact statement to court.

Follow Rick Sobey on Twitter @rsobeyLSun

Update hourly