Related topics

Two Arrested In Triple Slaying At Country Bank

June 7, 1986

NORTHAMPTON, Pa. (AP) _ A mob of more than 200 chanted ″Kill ‘em 3/8 Kill ’em 3/8″ as police led away two men charged with storming a small country bank with guns blazing and killing three women employees.

The bank manager and a customer were critically wounded in the Friday morning attack. Two of those slain were lying on the floor when they were shot, and authorities described those killings as executions.

Stanley Joseph Hertzog, 29, of Allentown, and Martin Daniel Appel, 28, of Northampton, were stopped about three hours later in a car fitting witnesses’ description, said state police Lt. Robert Werts.

They were charged with murder, attempted murder, aggravated assault, bank robbery and conspiracy. District Justice Charles Kutzler ordered them held without bail at Northampton County Prison pending a June 16 hearing.

A crowd screamed, ″Kill ‘em 3/8 Kill ’em 3/8″ and ″You bastards 3/8″ and ″Shoot them, shoot them 3/8″ as Hertzog and Appel were led from the magistrate’s storefront office in handcuffs and put in police cars Friday night.

People in the crowd surged around the cars and pounded on them as they drove off.

Shortly before noon, two men burst into the First National Bank of Bath branch office in East Allen Township, shooting, said Werts, who would not say how many shots were fired. They then went behind some counters and took an undetermined amount of money.

After the robbery, police set up roadblocks and used a helicopter to scan the area near Bethlehem, about 60 miles north of Philadelphia. They stopped the car near Kreidersville, about two miles north of the bank, said state police Capt. Benjamin Brooks.

Werts would not say if any money was recovered, but said a gun used in the killings had been found.

Tellers Janice Confer, 48, of Northampton, and Hazel Evans, 55, of Coplay, were found dead on the floor at their bank stations, Werts said.

Jane Hartman, 34, a bank secretary from Catasauqua, was shot to death at her desk. Customer Thomas Marchetto, 37, of Bath, who was at her desk, also was shot and he was in stable condition today at Muhlenberg Hospital Center in Bethlehem.

Branch manager Marcia Jean Hauser, 31, of Nazareth, who was shot and wounded in her office, was in critical condition today at Lehigh Valley Hospital Center in Allentown.

Another teller and an assistant manager were in a back room when they heard the shooting and ran out a back door, authorities said. They provided a description of the gunmen and their getaway car.

″It appears to me that the two working in the teller windows were lying on the floor to escape this and still were executed,″ said Northampton County Coroner Joseph F. Reichel. He called them ″brutal, unnecessary killings.″

″It doesn’t make any sense,″ said Karen Wasilko, an employee of a motel down the road. ″Mostly women work there. And they would have given them anything they wanted. Why did they have to shoot?″

On May 29, the bank was broken into about 4:30 a.m., police said. Equipment inside was smashed, including cameras, and police said then the vandalism could have been attempt to knock the cameras out for a later robbery try.

The cameras were working at the time of the attack, Werts said.

Werts said police are investigating if there was a connection between the attack and that vandalism or a bomb threat received at nearby Allentown-Beth lehem-Easton Airport shortly before the robbery.

The Allentown Morning Call newspaper reported today that Appel is a former Lehigh County Prison guard convicted in 1984 of impersonating a police officer. An FBI agent who wouldn’t give his name told the newspaper that Hertzog and Appel had been working as taxi drivers.

Hertzog, wearing a crew cut and a tight sleeveless shirt that read ″Flex Pump Stretch,″ turned to Appel and grinned during the arraignment.

The attack was the deadliest in a bank robbery since Dec. 14, 1984, when four people were killed and three were wounded during a holdup at the First Bank of Chattanooga in Geronimo, Okla., FBI spokesman Ernie Porter said. Two people were convicted and sentenced to death in that robbery, he said.

Update hourly