Marcos Group Brought Items Worth $7 Million To Hawaii
HONOLULU (AP) _ Former Philippine President Ferdinand Marcos and his 89-member entourage brought $7 million worth of currency, jewelry, and negotiable securities when they came here after fleeing Manila, a federal attorney says.
The amount was revealed Friday by Justice Department attorney John Seibert when he told U.S. District Judge Harold Fong that the U.S. Customs Service can continue holding the property for up to 18 months while its ownership is determined.
The new government of Philippine President Corazon Aquino has been seeking the return of money and other possessions Marcos may have illegally brought with him to Hawaii on Feb. 26.
The State Department announced Friday in Washington that it had turned over to the Philippines an inventory of the jewelry, cash and other items contained in 300 crates that Marcos and his associates brought with them aboard two U.S. Air Force planes.
The inventory was provided ″under the same bilateral agreements″ that governed the earlier release to the Aquino government of more than 2,000 pages of documents tracing Marcos’ wealth, said a State Department statement.
″We do not plan to release a copy of the inventory to the public,″ it added.
Fong denied a motion filed by Marcos’ Honolulu attorney, Bert Kobayashi Jr., asking that the U.S. government be found in contempt of court for releasing the documents brought along by Marcos to the Philippine government and to a House subcommittee headed by Rep. Stephen Solarz, D-N.Y.
Fong criticized Solarz for releasing the contents of the documents to reporters Thursday. Fong earlier had issued an order that prohibited the U.S. government from releasing the documents.
Marcos remained in guest housing Saturday at Hickam Air Force Base while he looked for a permanent home, according to Navy Lt. Cmdr. Sheila Graham, a spokeswoman for the U.S. Pacific Command.
Last week, Panama refused to permit Marcos to move there, joining a list of nations including Spain, Indonesia and Singapore which have denied him refuge. U.S. officials say they are still looking for a place where Marcos can move.