AP NEWS

2 Rescued From Home In Kingston

May 2, 2019

KINGSTON — Police and fire crews rescued two people from a fire that broke out Wednesday afternoon at a double-block residence at 54-56 N. Welles St. in Kingston, Fire Chief Frank Guido said.

One person was rescued from each side of the residence. Both were asleep when the fire broke out, he said.

A firefighter suffered a heat burn fighting the blaze. He was treated and released from a local hospital, Guido said.

The fire, which broke out at around 2 p.m., damaged the second floor and attic of the home.

Five people displaced from 54 Welles St. were being assisted by the American Red Cross, while the lone occupant of the other side declined assistance and made other arrangements, fire officials said.

Guido said the fire is going to be ruled accidental due to an electrical problem.

— BOB KALINOWSKI