Father, Daughters Die in Fire; Candles from Ritual May Be to Blame
LINCOLNWOOD, Ill. (AP) _ Candles used during a ritual caused a fire that killed a father and his two daughters early Sunday, a fire official said.
″Apparently as part of their heritage or religious beliefs, they kept lit candles,″ said fire Cmdr. Larry LaRiviere. He did not know what the family’s religion was.
LaRiviere said the three were trapped on the second floor of their home in this Chicago suburb. The bodies were found in separate bedrooms.
He identified the victims as Phillip Mandin, 51, Michelle Mandin, 10, and Lourdes May Mandin, 8.
The children’s mother, Felicisima Mandin, 45, survived by leaping from a second-story window, LaRiviere said. She was already outside when firefighters arrived around 4:30 a.m. She was hospitalized in fair condition.