AP NEWS

New Milford provides facade grant for historic building

December 7, 2018

The Corporation for New Milford Economic Development recently awarded a $2,000 façade improvement grant to Harry Cohen so he can paint the front of the historic building in the spring.

The “Cohen Building,” at 62 Bridge Street, was built between 1897 and 1903 in the colonial revival style by Charles Merritt Beach, a prominent New Milford merchant. It was originally built as a two-family structure with a doctor’s family and office on one side.

Cohen and a partner purchased the building in 1970 and practiced law there until his retirement in 2010. The Cohen family has recently made substantial investments in the building, according to a news release.

In March 2018, the corporation was reinstated after a two-year dormant period. The mission of the nonprofit organization is to expand and develop new business opportunities in New Milford and promote a business-friendly climate that attracts more industry to town.

Applications for grants and small loans are available to businesses through the corporation. The corporation has money for façade improvement projects in the village center and loan programs for businesses throughout the town.

Business owners interested in applying for these funding programs are encouraged to contact Kathy Castagnetta, community investment officer, at kathycastagnetta@gmail.com.

AP RADIO
Update hourly