Cops Keep Jobs in Brawl Agreement
INDIANAPOLIS (AP) _ Two of four white police officers who faced criminal charges stemming from a drunken brawl with a black man and others on a downtown street will be allowed to keep their badges, a prosecutor said Thursday.
The two other officers will resign.
A jury last month failed to reach a verdict on criminal charges against the four.
The agreements announced Thursday by prosecutor Scott Newman heads off a second trial on charges the officers got drunk at a baseball game and wandered downtown harassing people before beating up two civilians.
One of the civilians was black, and witnesses said the off-duty officers yelled racial and sexual insults at people on the street before getting into the fight.
The incident triggered protests from black residents who said it fit a pattern of police abuse.
The retrial of Paul Tutsie, Jason D. Hansman, Edward P. Brickley Jr. and Gregory Gehring had been scheduled for June.
Tutsie will plead guilty to disorderly conduct and resign from the force. Charges of felony battery, perjury and misdemeanor criminal mischief will be dropped.
Hansman, who was fired because of an unrelated incident, has withdrawn his appeal and will be allowed to resign.
Hansman is scheduled for trial in June for his role in the downtown brawl. He still faces charges of pointing a firearm, disorderly conduct and battery.
Disorderly conduct charges against Brickley and Gehring will not be prosecuted, provided that they undergo alcohol treatment, anger control counseling, and gender and racial sensitivity training.
Brickley and Gehring, who earlier served suspensions, are back on duty.
Rep. Julia Carson, D-Ind., said she will ask the Justice Department to investigate the brawl to determine if any civil rights laws were violated.