Four Killed In Garage Explosion When Torch Ignites Gas
IVYTON, Ky. (AP) _ Four people, including an 11-year-old boy, were killed Saturday when a welder’s cutting torch ignited three 55-gallon drums of gasoline being stored in a garage, authorities said.
Authorities do not know why so much gasoline was being stored in the garage or how the torch ignited it, State Police Dispatcher Lynden Hunt said.
″It was a privately owned metal building being used as a garage to work on race cars,″ said Magoffin County Coroner Luther Dean Dunn. ″... One of them went to cut a piece of steel, and evidently a spark ignited some gas fumes.″
The building was destroyed, he said.
Dunn identified three of the victims as Earl Dee Marshall, 43, of Salyersville; Bobby Osborne, 27, of Ivyton; and Brandon Marshall, 11, of Ivyton. The identity of the fourth victim, a 16-year-old Ivyton boy, was not released pending notification of relatives.
Brandon’s father, Adam Dwayne Marshall, was taken to Highlands Regional Hospital in Prestonsburg, where he was listed in stable condition Saturday night, Dunn said. Four others in the garage at the time of the explosion apparently escaped injury.