AP NEWS
Related topics

Boston apartment fire caused by unattended candle

January 11, 2016

BOSTON (AP) — Fire officials have ruled that a weekend blaze at an apartment complex in Boston’s Jamaica Plain neighborhood was caused by a candle left unattended on the first floor.

Boston Fire Department spokesman Steve MacDonald says Saturday’s fire caused $50,000 in damage to the Pondview Apartments on Centre Street.

The fire started at the four-story building around 10 p.m. Approximately 15 to 30 residents were initially displaced.

Deputy Fire Chief Andre Stallworth says firefighters controlled the flames in about 15 minutes.

No injuries were reported, although one person was hospitalized as a precaution.

MacDonald says most of the occupants have returned home, except for three tenants who live in the apartment where the fire originated.

AP RADIO
Update hourly