Hospital retiree settlement resolved
A settlement agreement between a group of Medical Center Hospital retirees and the Ector County Hospital District board of directors and the health system has been resolved.
Medical Center Health System President and CEO Rick Napper said after an executive session Tuesday, during which the board discussed the settlement, that the board had already approved the settlement, contingent upon the retiree plaintiff group getting 90 percent of the group to sign the agreement by Sunday. The retiree plaintiff group met that requirement on Friday.
Napper said the group actually had 100 percent of the plaintiff group sign the agreement, minus some errors discovered in the process.
Lead plaintiff David Meisell said Friday there were seven signatures they could not obtain because four of the plaintiffs are now deceased, two names were duplicated and one plaintiff listed was ineligible. A total of 310 retiree plaintiffs signed the agreement.
Napper said there is still some finalization issues between the hospital district and the retiree’s attorney they will need to resolve and then the retirees’ attorney has to file to dismiss the case. He said he is planning to set up a meeting with the retiree group sometime in November to help retirees use the Health Reimbursement Arrangements the hospital has funded for them.
The hospital will also be looking at changing the company the retirees will be working through at the retirees’ request.
“Because the board’s intent all along has been to achieve a settlement that’s acceptable to the retirees and we want to provide service to our retirees,” Napper said. “We will immediately start working, I think it’ll be January when it actually takes effect.”
The hospital also must still get a small group of non-plaintiff retirees to sign off on the agreement, Napper said.