Settlement Approved in ‘Girl X’ Case
CHICAGO (AP) _ The Chicago Housing Authority has approved a financial settlement for a girl who was raped and beaten at the crime-ridden Cabrini-Green housing project, an attack that left her blind, mute and crippled.
Fifteen-year-old Toya Currie _ who for years was known publicly only as Girl X _ will receive $357,690 under the settlement approved Tuesday.
Her family said they plan to use most of the money to pay for expenses when they eventually bring her home from a long-term care facility for disabled children.
The settlement comes more than five years after the January 1997 attack on Toya. The girl, then 9, was lured into a Cabrini-Green apartment, where she was attacked and roach spray was poured down her throat. She was left for dead in a dirty stairwell.
Toya communicates by a laborious process in which she blinks for a therapist to signal each letter she wants to use to spell words. During an interview earlier this year, she said she wanted to put the Girl X pseudonym behind her.
Patrick Sykes, the man convicted of assaulting Toya, was sentenced to 120 years in prison in July.
Housing Authority general counsel Gail Nieman said the agreement clears the authority of any further liability. The settlement must be approved by the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development before any cash is disbursed.