Rochester man facing numerous charges after police chase

October 9, 2018


A Rochester man is facing a slew of charges following a police chase that ended after a police dog took the man down in a city park Saturday night.

Gregory Lovelace, 44, could be facing felony charges of first-degree burglary, a domestic assault no contact order violation and fleeing an officer in a motor vehicle; and misdemeanor charges of fleeing an officer on foot and fourth-degree driving while under the influence of alcohol. He also faces gross misdemeanor charges of fifth-degree assault and third-degree driving while under the influence refusal to submit to a test, according to Rochester Police Lt. Mike Sadauskis.

The incident began about 8 a.m., when police were called to the 1200 block of 4½ Street Northwest for a report of an argument between Lovelace and a 37-year-old woman, Sadauskis said. The two previously were a couple. The woman requested a ride to a friend’s house in the 400 block of 16th Street Northwest to get away from Lovelace.

Rochester Police received a call about 12 hours later, about 8:40 p.m., from a resident at the home in the 400 block of 16th Street Northwest, according to Sadauskis.

The caller reported Lovelace had broken in the front door, entered the home and tried to confront the woman. A man in the home attempted to stop Lovelace from getting to the woman and a struggle ensued, Sadauskis said.

After the man said he was going to call 911, Lovelace allegedly left the residence in a white 1998 Cadillac DeVille at a high rate of speed.

An officer responding to the call first spotted the car traveling 50 to 60 mph in the area of 14th Street and Assisi Drive Northwest. The officer turned around and attempted to stop the car but Lovelace continued on toward Elton Hills Elementary School, Sadauskis said.

A second squad joined the pursuit and both cars continued to follow the Cadillac after calling off the pursuit, Sadauskis said. Eventually, Lovelace pulled into the parking lot of Foster Arend Park and parked his car. Lovelace got out and began walking away from officers, according to Sadauskis.

Officers yelled at Lovelace to stop but he continued to walk and at one point turned toward officers and reached across his body and into a jacket pocket, Sadauskis said. Officers drew their weapons about concerns he was reaching for a gun.

Lovelace allegedly yelled at the officers to shoot him before running off toward a trail. Another officer arrived on scene shortly after with police dog Wrecker, Saduaskis said. Wrecker was released and was able to take Lovelace to the ground. No weapon was found on Lovelace, and he was taken into custody.

Update hourly