Beachfront mansion fire on the Mississippi coast
PASS CHRISTIAN, Miss. (AP) — A fire that began early Monday at a 25,000 square-foot mansion kept firefighters from several Mississippi Gulf Coast communities for much of the day.
News outlets on the coast report that the home in Pass Christian is commonly known as the Monroe House. The fire was reported at around 4 a.m. Monday and was still burning at midday.
Firefighters from a half-dozen communities, including Long Beach, Gulfport and Bay St. Louis, joined the fight to save the beachfront landmark.
Officials said battling the blaze was a complex operation and that the fire had spread to the attic and in between the walls.
No injuries were reported.
In 2015, the home was listed for $12.5 million, according to Sun Herald archives.
The mansion is on an 8-acre lot and has 15 bedrooms and 19 bathrooms. A neighbor speculated that lightning from an early morning storm may have sparked the fire. One official said firefighters were expected to be on the scene into Monday evening.
Owners Charles and Nancy Ramsey bought the home in 1993 and added to modern wings onto it. The home was not damaged in Hurricane Katrina.
The mansion was built in 1963 by J. Edgar Monroe as a second home for himself and his wife.