AP NEWS
Related topics

Mother Says Burned Son, 3, Tried to Alert Neighbors to House Fire

February 6, 1987

BOSTON (AP) _ A 3-year-old boy who tried to alert his upstairs neighbor their house was on fire was hospitalized in fair condition Thursday night with facial burns suffered in the morning blaze, his mother said.

It was also Mark Walsh who first noticed the fire, which started in a sofa, said his mother, Paula Walsh, 23.

″My son had told me, he said, ’Mommy, there’s a fire in the couch,‴ Mrs. Walsh said.

An attempt to put out the fire with water only seemed to fuel the flames, she said.

Then somehow - Mrs. Walsh said she can’t remember the sequence of events - she and her daughters, ages 4 years and 10 months, and a visiting girlfriend managed to get out of the house through thickening smoke.

In the meantime, Mark ″was wandering through the building. ... He went upstairs and knocked on the door″ to tell the upstairs neighbor to get out of the three-story home, Mrs. Walsh said.

″He’s a brave one,″ she said.

Firefighter Jim Hardy rescued Mark from the home and handed him to other firefighters who provided first aid until an ambulance arrived.

No one else was injured in the blaze, which destroyed the family’s apartment, she said. Fire officials could not be reached for comment Thursday night.

The boy was being treated at the Shriners Burn Institute, said Jack Salvo, night nursing supervisor at the hospital.

AP RADIO
Update hourly