Questions Surround Menem Jr. Crash
BUENOS AIRES, Argentina (AP) _ Argentina’s former first lady urged authorities to classify her son’s death as a homicide Tuesday as news reports emerged that bullet holes were found in his downed helicopter.
Zulema Yoma, who has claimed for months that her son was murdered, made her request before a court in San Nicolas, near the crash site 150 miles north of Buenos Aires.
Argentine newspapers quoted unidentified judicial sources Tuesday as saying at least two bullet holes, possibly from large caliber weapons, had been found on the helicopter.
But those reports emphasized it was unclear whether the holes had been made before or after the March 15, 1995, crash that killed 26-year-old Carlos Menem Jr. and a friend, race driver Silvio Oltra.
The sources told the daily newspaper La Nacion that a final report described possible bullet holes, but they said it was ``premature″ to discuss the findings.
President Carlos Menem, who is divorced from Yoma, accepted investigators’ earlier findings that the helicopter piloted by his son had accidentally crashed into power lines while traveling at a low altitude.
Yoma, however, had refused to accept the earlier report and vowed to get to the bottom of his death.
``I am going to keep waiting until this is resolved and continuing pressing because I have no other choice,″ Yoma was quoted as telling local reporters.