CONI seeks 3 months added to race walker Schwazer’s ban
ROME (AP) — The Italian Olympic Committee’s anti-doping prosecutor requested Friday that three months be added to the 3 ½-year ban given to former race walking gold medalist Alex Schwazer.
If confirmed, the extended ban would leave Schwazer out until the end of April, 2016, just a few months before the Rio de Janeiro Games.
Schwazer, who won the 50-kilometer walk at the 2008 Beijing Games, failed an out-of-competition test before arriving at the 2012 London Olympics and was removed from Italy’s team before competing. He admitted using the blood-boosting hormone EPO, and said he was quitting the sport.
The doping prosecutor was originally seeking six more months but reduced the request because Schwazer collaborated with officials after new revelations in the case were sent in by Bolzano prosecutors.
The case will be decided by CONI’s anti-doping court.
Last month, Schwazer was handed an eight-month suspended prison sentence under a plea bargain deal with Bolzano authorities.
His sports ban is due to expire in January 2016.
Meanwhile, Schwazer’s ex-girlfriend and former figure skating world champion Carolina Kostner will be judged next Friday over whether she helped cover up Schwazer’s use of banned drugs by helping him avoid a test.
CONI’s anti-doping prosecutor has requested a ban of four years and three months for Kostner, who is taking this year off from competition.
Kostner, the bronze medalist at this year’s Sochi Olympics, has said she didn’t know anything about Schwazer’s doping.