AP NEWS

Fire from left-on kitchen stove damages Hamden apartment

December 17, 2018

HAMDEN - A fire - started by a stove that was left on - damaged a unit in the Regency Hills Apartments on Pine Rock Avenue Sunday afternoon.

Fire Marshal Brian Dolan said Hamden Central Communications received mutiple calls about the blaze at 3:33 p.m.

Many reported there was smoke in one of the buildings.

“Engine 2 attrived at 3:38 p.m. and reported smoke coming from a second-floor window,” Dolan said in a release. “A hose line was stretched down a hallway and forced entry into unit B12. Firefighters encountered a heavy smoke condtion in the apartment and active fire in the kitchen area.”

The fire was quickly brought under control and crews checked for any fire extension into the walls of the apartment and the unit above it.

The resident of the apartment was not home at the time of the fire.

An investigation by Dolan determined that the oven and one stovepot burner was left on by the resident who had left the apartment shortly before the fire. The fire spread from the stovetop to the kitchen cabinets immediately above the oven range.

AP RADIO
Update hourly