AP NEWS
Related topics

Dog dies after touching lid of electrified container

September 29, 2018

SARASOTA, Fla. (AP) — A Florida dog that touched the lid of an electrified container that holds the wiring for street lights during a walk has died.

News outlets report Lynn McDermott took the Great Pyrenees on a walk in the rain Saturday in Sarasota. The around 70-pound (31.75-kilogram) dog touched the pull box’s lid and collapsed. McDermott reached down and received a shock.

Firefighters gave the dog chest compressions and put an oxygen mask over its snout, but it died on the scene.

Public Works Director Doug Jeffcoat says upon inspection, the metal lid became electrified because of a faulty wire underground had come into contact with it. The city says they fixed the faulty wire and grounded the metal lid. Precautionary safety inspections on other boxes are also being performed.

AP RADIO
Update hourly