AP NEWS
Related topics

Firefighters knock down fire started by man cooking chicken

October 2, 2018

NEWPORT, Vt. (AP) — Firefighters in Vermont have knocked down a fire that began when a man fell asleep while cooking chicken on the stovetop.

Newport City Fire Lt. James LeClair and firefighter Ryan Abel arrived at the scene late Friday to find heavy smoke in a first-floor apartment. The Caledonian-Record reports the occupant, known to neighbors as “Dave,” fell asleep while cooking and his pan caught fire.

Neighbor Lorraine Jensen reported the fire after hearing a smoke alarm go off.

Abel and LeClair say they plunged into the apartment and pulled out the man, then snuffed out the fire by tossing the flaming pan into the apartment building driveway.

LeClair says it’s pretty apparent the fire was an accident. The resident was transported to an area hospital with non-life-threatening injuries.

___

Information from: The Caledonian-Record, http://www.caledonianrecord.com

AP RADIO
Update hourly