Related topics

‘Puffy’ Jurors Recess Deliberations

March 16, 2001

%mlink(STRY:; PHOTO:XNYR206-031501; AUDIO:%)

NEW YORK (AP) _ Saying they were exhausted, the jurors in the Sean ``Puffy″ Combs gun possession trial finished their second day of deliberations Thursday without reaching a verdict.

In a note to the judge, the jurors wrote that they were ``very exhausted, and any further deliberations would be counterproductive.″

The jurors ended their day at about 6:30 p.m., more than eight hours after they began deliberating, as one juror appeared to wipe tears from her eyes.

The jury spent part of the day rehearing the testimony of Detective William Wallace, a ballistics expert who recreated the trajectories of the bullets fired inside Club New York.

It was the jury’s first request for a repeat of trial testimony.

Attorney Johnnie Cochran, part of Combs’ high-powered defense team, declined to speculate on the seemingly emotional juror.

``That would be like reading tea leaves,″ he said.

Combs, 31, was charged with weapons possession and bribery after his Dec. 27, 1999, arrest as he fled a Times Square-area nightclub where gunfire had erupted.

Combs’ protege and co-defendant, Jamaal ``Shyne″ Barrow, is charged with three counts of attempted murder for allegedly shooting three people in the club. Combs’ bodyguard, Anthony ``Wolf″ Jones, faces the same weapons and bribery charges as Combs.

One of three alternate jurors, Aurora Garcia-Susana, said Thursday that she believed the hip-hip entrepreneur will emerge from the trial unscathed.

``I would have voted not guilty, and I think he will be acquitted,″ said Garcia-Susana, 37, a medical records clerk. ``But his testimony, I don’t think, was all that truthful. Still, the prosecution did not prove its case.″

Three of the jury’s five alternates were released on Wednesday before deliberations began. The jury has been sequestered since that day. The panel was expected to resume deliberations Friday morning.

Update hourly