Related topics

Police Hold Six, Believe They’ve Netted Entire Kidnap Gang

April 17, 1986

DUBLIN, Ireland (AP) _ Police arrested another trio of suspects in the kidnapping of Jennifer Guinness hours after three men released the wealthy banker’s wife from a Dublin hideout and surrendered.

With the Wednesday night arrests of two men and a woman, Dublin police said they believed they had snared the entire kidnap gang. Police provided no othe details of the latest arrests, and did not release the identity of any of the six people held.

At about daybreak Wednesday, three men holding the 48-year-old socialite in a house in a fashionable Dublin district surrendered peacefully after police and soldiers surrounded the house.

Three masked men kidnapped Mrs. Guinness from her clifftop mansion outside Dublin on April 8.

The petite Mrs. Guinness, wife of banker John Guinness, told a news conference she had hidden a car jack under her pillow, hoping for a chance to hit one of her kidnappers.

She said the three men who seized her put her in the trunk of their car. She slipped the jack inside her coat and later hid it under the pillow of the bed on which she was forced to spend most of her time in captivity.

When the gang discovered the jack after two days, she said, the leader ″was absolutely hopping mad and I was so pleased. I really felt great about it.″

She said, ″I was determined about this. I was going to come out physically and mentally intact. Losing hope would not have been possible.″

Mrs. Guinness said she tried to persuade her captors that they had grabbed the wrong Guinness, but said that after seeing television coverage of the family’s lavish lifestyle a member of the gang burst into her room shouting: ″You’re worth millions 3/8″

The Guinness family is one of Ireland’s richest, with branches in brewing and banking.

Mrs. Guinness said she was moved to about five different locations, often gagged and blindfolded, but otherwise was well-treated and given newspapers and a radio.

The abductors took her from her pink Georgian-style home in the Dublin suburb of Howth, pistol-whipped her husband and told him he would never see her again unless he paid a ransom of 2 million Irish pounds ($2.6 million). Police said the ransom was not paid.

Police said they did not hear from the gunmen after the kidnapping, but clues found in a house in the Ballsbridge embassy district of Dublin led them to another one in Ballsbridge where they found Mrs. Guinness.

She was freed after about six hours of negotiations Wednesday morning.

Police in West Yorkshire, England, said they wanted to question the three men arrested Wednesday morning about armed robberies there and the killing of a police sergeant.

Update hourly