Police: Man Launched Attack Over Bus Line Cutting Confrontation
WILKES-BARRE — A homeless man confronted about cutting in line for a bus launched an attack that broke several of the victim’s facial bones, according to police.
Timothy Kalief Battle, 39, originally of Newark, New Jersey, is accused of attacking David Biro at the courtyard of St. Vincent de Paul Kitchen the afternoon of Aug. 15.
According to the charges, Biro was waiting in line for a bus to a homeless shelter when Battle cut in front of him. When Biro told him there was a line, Battle “savagely attacked” him by punching him repeatedly in the face, police said.
The attack continued after Biro hit the ground, but Biro was able to get away after taking several blows to the back of the head, police said.
Biro went to the Turkey Hill Minit Market on Wilkes-Barre Boulevard and called the police, who found him with a black eye and swelling to the left side of his face, police said.
Biro declined to be taken to a hospital, but he went to Wilkes-Barre General Hospital a few days later because of continuing pain.
A check of his face revealed several bones on the left side of his face had been broken, the complaint said. Doctors had to perform surgery to repair the damage to the left cheek, police said.
Police said Biro identified his attacker in a photo lineup.
Police charged Battle with aggravated assault and simple assault. Magisterial District Judge Donald L. Whittaker arraigned him on Wednesday morning and set bail at $50,000.
A preliminary hearing was set for Oct. 11.
Contact the writer: