Five things you need to know today, July 31
Take a look at the news in and around Odessa on Tuesday, July 31. Find complete local news coverage in the Odessa American every day, online at oaoa.com and our daily E-Edition at myoaoa.com.
1. Ector County Commissioners approved raises for themselves along with county employees and county peace officers for the next fiscal year during a budget hearing Monday morning.
2. Ector County Independent School District Superintendent Tom Crowe said he plans to ask the school board to call a tax ratification election for Nov. 6 at its Aug. 14 board meeting.
3. A woman was arrested after operators of a Department of Public Safety helicopter saw her ramming her vehicle into another, which turned out to be her husband’s, while police were responding to an incomplete 911 call early Saturday morning.
4. Congressman Beto O’Rourke, D-El Paso, who is challenging U.S. Sen. Ted Cruz, R-Texas, made a stop for a town hall in Odessa Monday night.
5. With the first home football game just weeks away, the Permian High School band began practicing Monday in the band hall and in the parking lot.