Gas Explosion at Northeastern U. Hurts 7
BOSTON (AP) _ A natural gas explosion sent flames shooting through a Northeastern University dormitory Wednesday, injuring seven people and severely damaging the six-story brick building.
Victims were treated for broken bones, cuts and burns, but no one was seriously hurt, said Richard Serino, Boston’s emergency services director.
A Boston Fire Department spokesman said the explosion probably was caused by a gas leak in the boiler room of Kerr Hall.
Alex Zinni, a 23-year-old from Mansfield, said he was eating lunch when black smoke and orange flames filled the second-story dining hall.
``I was tossed up, tossed down, and I heard people say, ’Go!‴ said Zinni, who was unhurt. ``I felt like I was lifted.″
Kerr Hall houses dormitories and a faculty center. The injured included students, faculty, staff and a utility worker sent to investigate the gas leak.
The building was evacuated because of suspected structural damage; damage was estimated at $800,000.