Overheated HVAC unit produces roof smoke at Phoenix airport
PHOENIX (AP) — Authorities say smoke reported on the roof of Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport’s Terminal 3 was from an overheated heating, ventilation and air conditioning system.
Phoenix Fire Department officials say there were called out to the airport Wednesday evening on reports of smoke showing from the roof near one of the terminal’s gates.
They say there was no active fire and at no time during the incident did any of the smoke make it into the terminal.
Fire Department officials say crews determined that a part of the HVAC system had overheated and melted a piece of the circuit board.
Crews successfully de-energized the unit and cleared out any residual smoke.
Authorities say the scene has been turned over to Sky Harbor maintenance.