Arab League rejects US proposal in Mideast deal
CAIRO (AP) — The Arab League says it rejects a continued Israeli troop presence on the eastern border of a future state of Palestine, a proposal Palestinians say was floated by the U.S. earlier this month.
Arab League chief Nabil Elaraby said Saturday no peace deal would work with Israeli presence in a Palestinian state.
Palestinian officials said U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry proposed Israel control Palestine’s future border with Jordan for at least 10 years to address Israeli concerns about a potential influx of militants and weapons.
Aides to Palestinian leader Mahmoud Abbas have criticized the plan. One aide, speaking on condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to discuss the negotiations, said Saturday the Palestinians are trying to soften the proposal to shorten the span of any Israeli withdrawal.
Associated Press writer Karin Laub in Jericho, West Bank, contributed to this report.