Community Briefs: Aug. 7, 2018
Yoga at Aroma Park
Yoga is being held at 6:30 p.m. today in the Fellowship Hall of the Aroma Park United Methodist Church.
The session is led by Holly Froning and meets the first and third Tuesday of the month. The church is at 210 W. Third St. in Aroma Park. There is no charge for this program. For more information, call the church at 815-573-5575.Kankakee QuiltMakers
The Kankakee QuiltMakers will be meeting on Thursday and doing a workshop on Friday.
Cotton Cottage Quilts from Valparaiso, Ind., will be coming to do a trunk show at the meeting at 7 p.m. Thursday at Calvary Bible Church, 2587 E. Armour Road in Bourbonnais. They will have items from their shop to buy after the meeting.
At 9:30 a.m. Friday, a workshop titled “Dresden Neighborhood” will be held at the Bourbonnais Public Library, 250 W. John Casey Road, Bourbonnais. Attendees can purchase the Dresden template and pattern at the meeting. New members are welcome.
For more information, call Donna McGovern at 708-828-5110.Limestone Township Library events
Limestone Township Library, 2701 W. Tower Road, Kankakee, is holding the following programs: • Storytime — 10:15 to 11 a.m. Aug. 14. Enjoy a mix of crafts, stories and music to help young children develop a love for reading. Parents and guardians can bring their 6-month- to 5-year-old children.
• Adult Book Club — 6:30 to 7:30 p.m. Aug. 14. Join a discussion about “The Black Book,” by James Patterson. There are books available at the desk.
• Storytime at Night — 6:15 to 7 p.m. Aug. 14. Enjoy a mix of crafts, stories and music to help young children develop a love for reading. Parents and guardians can bring their 6-month- to 5-year-old children.
Ponton Day at the French Heritage Museum
Ponton Day will be held at 1 p.m. Saturday at the French Heritage Museum, 165 N. Indiana Ave. in Kankakee.
The program is a presentation on the ancestry of the Ponton family and its historic roots in Kankakee County. Norma Meier, a local French history genealogist, will be conducting a discussion on the genealogy of the Pontons, with other French names from the area tied in as well.
Admission is free. Donations are welcome.Central Class of 1963 reunion
The Central High School Class of 1963 Reunion will be held at 6 p.m. Aug. 18 in the Garden Room at the Hilton Garden Inn, 455 Riverstone Parkway, Kankakee. Guests are welcome after 8 p.m.
For more information, contact Bonnie Mayo at 815-991-7319 or firstname.lastname@example.org.Kankakee Public Library events
• Bingo with the Books — 10 a.m. to noon every second Friday of each month on the fourth floor of the library.
• Ukulele Class — 7 to 8 p.m. every second and fourth Monday of the month. Anyone interested in participating is encouraged to bring their own ukulele.
• Tai Chi — 10 to 11 a.m. on Aug. 14 and 28. The sessions from the Community Wellness Group practice deep stretching and flexibility; it works to help create balance and energy.
This event will be open and free to the public.
For more information on the programs, call the library at 815-939-4564.