US priest released from prison after appeal

January 2, 2014
FILE - In this March 27, 2012, file photo, Monsignor William Lynn leaves the Criminal Justice Center in Philadelphia. A Pennsylvania prison spokeswoman said Lynn was released from prison on Thursday, Jan. 2, 2014, after winning an appeal of his landmark conviction in a priest-abuse scandal. Lynn was the first U.S. church official charged for hiding complaints that priests were molesting children. He handled such complaints in Philadelphia from 1992-2004. The appeals court said the law at the time didn't cover people who don't directly supervise children. (AP Photo/Alex Brandon, File)

PHILADELPHIA (AP) — A Roman Catholic church official who won an appeal of his landmark conviction in the priest-abuse scandal left a Pennsylvania prison on Thursday after 18 months behind bars.

Monsignor William Lynn left the state prison in Waymart in northeastern Pennsylvania, prison spokeswoman Terri Fazio said, and was taken by the Philadelphia Sheriff’s Office to a city jail, where he was to be fitted with an electronic monitoring device.

He will then be released, probably to the custody of a family member, one of his lawyers said. It was not clear late Thursday when that would happen.

The attorney, Thomas Bergstrom, declined to say where in Philadelphia his client will live while prosecutors appeal the Superior Court ruling.

Lynn, 62, was the first U.S. church official ever charged for hiding complaints that priests were molesting children. He was the point person for those complaints in Philadelphia from 1992-2004.

Prosecutors charged him with felony child endangerment. But the appeals court said the law that existed at the time didn’t cover people who don’t directly supervise children.

The Philadelphia archdiocese has been in the crosshairs of city prosecutors since 2002, when the priest-abuse scandal broke in Boston. Lynn, Cardinal Anthony Bevilacqua and other church officials — accompanied by lawyers — were grilled for days by an earlier grand jury that issued a damning report in 2005 but concluded that no charges could be filed.

Prosecutors tried again under District Attorney Seth Williams, who charged three priests with new sexual assault allegations in 2011, and Lynn with protecting the accused predators by hiding complaints in secret files. Bevilacqua, by then frail and elderly, was a potential witness in Lynn’s case but died before trial. By that time, his mild-mannered successor, Cardinal Anthony Rigali, had been replaced in Philadelphia by dynamic Archbishop Charles Chaput.

Lynn, at his July 2012 sentencing, said he tried his best to address the festering sex-abuse problem. He also voiced regret over his climb up the archdiocesan hierarchy.

“I am a parish priest. I should have stayed (one),” Lynn said.

Lynn’s conviction stems from the transfer of accused priest Edward Avery to a new parish, where he was later accused of raping a former altar boy in the church sacristy. Avery pleaded guilty and is serving 2 ½ -to-5 years in prison, although he denied the assault when called to testify at Lynn’s trial.

Lynn remains a priest in good standing with the church, and could return to ministry. He last served as pastor of St. Joseph’s in Downingtown, an affluent suburban parish whose members supported Lynn at his trial.

A spokesman for the archdiocese did not immediately return a phone message Thursday.

All contents © copyright 2019 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.