Day in History: Fogarty hired as new Lourdes basketball coach
1993 – 25 years ago
• The Rochester Royals slammed five home runs in a 15-2 amateur baseball win over Faribault. Brad Lunde, Dave Adams, Ken Moreland, Joe Warren and Colin Anderson all had home runs.
• The Rochester school system is hiring school bus drivers for the 1993-94 school year. Comprehensive benefits and $8.25 an hour with bonus is being offered.
1968 – 50 years ago
• Jerry Fogarty, a three-sport athlete at Lourdes High School in the late 1950s, has been named the varsity basketball coach at Rochester Lourdes.
• More than 1,600 people attended the fourth annual Church Night program at the Fillmore County Fair.
• Sen. Eugene McCarthy and Vice President Hubert Humphrey are to talk from the same platform when they appear at a dinner on the eve of the Washington state Democratic convention in Olympia, Wash.
1943 – 75 years ago
• Dr. Donald Balfour, director of the Mayo Foundation, was elected as a fellow of the Royal Society of Medicine in England. Dr. Balfour also is an honorary fellow in the Royal College of Surgeons of England.
• Eight servicemen were honored guests at the weekly luncheon of the William T. McCoy post of the American Legion.
1918 – 100 years ago
• The Child Welfare committee is arranging to start a Story Hour for children in different sections of the city. They are asking for volunteers who have a special ability in storytelling.
• A special examination will be sponsored by the Child Welfare committee for the benefit of new mothers in the city. Mothers are asked to be prompt, as the physicians can only give a short time to the work.
From news services
Ten years ago: President George W. Bush lifted an executive ban on offshore oil drilling which had stood since his father was president. The New Yorker magazine featured a satirical cover showing Barack Obama dressed as a Muslim and his wife, Michelle, as a terrorist in the Oval Office. (The Obama campaign called the cover “tasteless and offensive.”)
Five years ago: Thousands of demonstrators across the country protested a Florida jury’s decision the day before to clear George Zimmerman in the shooting death of Trayvon Martin. German Chancellor Angela Merkel, in a TV interview, called for tougher European and global rules on data protection amid fallout from recent revelations about U.S. surveillance programs.
One year ago: A Russian-American lobbyist said he attended a June 2016 meeting with President Donald Trump’s son that was billed as part of a Russian government effort to help the Republican campaign. Arab assailants opened fire from inside a major Jerusalem shrine, killing two Israeli policemen before being shot dead.
Today’s birthdays: Actress Nancy Olson is 90. Former football player and actor Rosey Grier is 86. Actor Vincent Pastore is 72. Music company executive Tommy Mottola is 70. Rock musician Chris Cross (Ultravox) is 66. Actor Jerry Houser is 66. Actor-director Eric Laneuville is 66. Actor Stan Shaw is 66. Movie producer Scott Rudin is 60. Singer-guitarist Kyle Gass is 58. Country musician Ray Herndon (McBride and the Ride) is 58. Actress Jane Lynch is 58. Actor Jackie Earle Haley is 57. Actor Matthew Fox is 52. Rock musician Ellen Reid (Crash Test Dummies) is 52. Rock singer-musician Tanya Donelly is 52. Actress Missy Gold is 48. Olympic gold medal snowboarder Ross Rebagliati is 47. Rhythm-and-blues singer Tameka Cottle (Xscape) is 43. Country singer Jamey Johnson is 43. Hip-hop musician taboo (Black Eyed Peas) is 43. Actor Scott Porter is 39. Rock singer Dan Smith (Bastille) is 32. Actress Sara Canning (TV: “The Vampire Diaries”) is 31. Rock singer Dan Reynolds (Imagine Dragons) is 31.