Related topics

Colombia 1, Guadalajara 0 Soviet Union 2, Costa Rica 1

February 23, 1990

LOS ANGELES (AP) _ Alexis Mendoza scored off a corner kick by Bernardo Redin in the 53rd minute and also made a brilliant defensive play to lead Colombia to a 1-0 victory over Chivas of Guadalajara in the championship game of the Marlboro Cup soccer tournament Thursday night.

Colombia used its speed and quick passes to take control of the midfield game after a scoreless first half and held on before a crowd of 29,323 at the Los Angeles Coliseum.

The Soviet Union beat Costa Rica 2-1 in the third-place game, getting goals from Fedor Cherenkov and Gennadi Litovchenko eight minutes apart in the second half.

Colombia, Costa Rica and the Soviet Union are headed for the World Cup. Guadalajara is a pro team.

Mendoza, a defender, headed Redin’s corner kick just past the right goal post, and the shot carried goalie Javier Ledezma into the net.

Guadalajara’s best chance after that came in the 76th minute. Colombia’s flambouyant goalie, Rene Higuita, made a sliding save of a shot by Omar Arellano. The rebound came right back to Arellano for what appeared to be a clear shot at the open net, but Mendoza swept in to knock the ball away.

Colombia played the last 40 seconds down a man after Luis Carlos Perea was issued a red card and ejected.

Benjamin Galindo beat Higuita with a high kick in the closing seconds of the half, but the goal was disallowed because Guadalajara was offside.

It was the first Marlboro Cup championship for Colombia. Guadalajara lost a Marlboro Cup championship game for the second time. The first was to the United States last year at Chicago.

Soviet goalie Victor Chanov made a leaping deflection of a shot by Marvin Obando in the closing seconds of the first game to preserve the victory, which evened the USSR’s record at 1-1 in their first soccer appearance ever in the United States. They lost to Colombia in the opening round Tuesday night.

The Soviets will play against the United States Saturday at Stanford.

Although having several more chances than the Costa Ricans, the Soviets didn’t gain control of the game until midway through the second half.

Litovchenko pulled the USSR into a 1-1 tie in the 67th minute when he controlled a rebound on the right side at the 18-yard mark and kicked the ball past Costa Rican goalie Gabelo Conejo.

Cherenkov scored the game-winner in the 75th minute on a well-executed play. Igor Kolivanov and Oleg Protasov headed the ball to the center of the field, where Cherenkov controlled it with his chest and kicked it past Conejo from about 12 yards out. Protasov got the assist.

Protasov failed on a penalty kickd in the 86th minute when he booted the ball well above the net.

Juan Cayasso scored Costa Rica’s goal on a free kick in the 34th minute, kicking the ball over Chanov’s head from the right side, just outside of the 18-yard mark.

Cayasso’s goal was Costa Rica’s fifth and final shot of the first half. The Soviets had 16 shots in the first half, including one by Andrei Zigmantovich that bounced off the crossbar.

Update hourly