AP NEWS

The Latest: Person of interest in custody in Detroit deaths

June 8, 2019
1 of 4
Detroit Police Chief James Craig answers questions during a press conference, Friday, June 7, 2019, at the Detroit Police Headquarters in Detroit, addressing the police response to a possible serial killer. Investigators believe a "serial murderer and rapist" targeting prostitutes is at large in Detroit. (Kimberly P. Mitchell/Detroit Free Press via AP)

DETROIT (AP) — The Latest on a possible serial killer in Detroit (all times local):

10:40 p.m.

Police say a person of interest in the possible serial killings of three women on Detroit’s east side is in custody.

Chief James Craig said earlier Friday that investigators were seeking a man in his mid-30s who’s known to be homeless and who frequents the east side. Police released two photos of the man in an effort to generate tips from the public.

Craig didn’t say why the man is a person of interest.

Three woman have been found dead in vacant houses since March, the latest one this week.

So far, only one has been ruled a homicide. But Mayor Mike Duggan says there’s a “strong possibility” that one person is responsible for the three deaths.

___

5:50 p.m.

Detroit’s police chief has identified a person of interest in the possible serial killings of three women on the city’s east side.

Chief James Craig said Friday that investigators are seeking a man in his mid-30s who’s known to be homeless and who frequents the east side. Police released two photos of the man in an effort to generate tips from the public.

Craig didn’t say why the man was a person of interest.

Three women have been found dead in vacant houses since March, the latest one this week. Only one so far has been ruled a homicide. But Mayor Mike Duggan says there’s a “strong possibility” that one person is responsible for the three deaths.

Craig suspects two of the dead women worked in the sex trade. Craig said Friday the third victim was a 55-year-old woman but he withheld her identity because her family had not yet been notified.

___

10:40 a.m.

Detroit police officers are checking abandoned houses for any additional victims of a possible serial killer.

Three women have been found dead in vacant houses since March, the latest one this week. Only one so far has been ruled a homicide. But Mayor Mike Duggan says there’s a “strong possibility” that one person is responsible for the three deaths.

Duggan announced Friday that police will immediately start inspecting abandoned houses in certain areas of Detroit. The mayor says the houses then will be boarded up by other crews. He says 1,000 houses on the east side and 1,000 on the west side need to be sealed.

Police Chief James Craig suspects two of the dead women worked in the sex trade. The third hasn’t been identified.

All contents © copyright 2019 The Associated Press.All rights reserved.