Dragons edge Pointers in OT

January 25, 2019

SOUTH POINT, Ohio — Allie Marshall’s future employer probably will offer her plenty of overtime.

Marshall scored the winning points in overtime for the second consecutive game Thursday to give Fairland (12-4) a 59-58 victory over South Point (12-4) in a wild Ohio Valley Conference game in the Pointers’ gym. The 6-foot senior forward sank two foul shots with nine seconds left to give the Dragons the victory.

“Well, I was nervous,” Marshall said of what she thought as she stepped to the line, her team behind by one. “I just calmed down and did what I do in practice. I thought, ‘don’t listen to the crowd, don’t let anyone bother me.’ Then I just made them.”

On Monday, Marshall scored all seven of Fairland’s point in overtime to lift the Dragons to a 54-49 triumph over Coal Grove. That game vaulted Fairland into a first-place tie with Coal Grove and South Point in the OVC. The Dragons and Hornets remain deadlocked at the top of the league standings, each with 8-2 records. The Hornets defeated Gallia Academy 71-40 on Thursday. Ironton is third at 8-3. The Pointers are fourth at 7-3.

“Allie wasn’t finishing, but then she made those two free throws,” Fairland coach Jon Buchanan said of Marshall, who missed two layups in the extra period before putting the game away. “We practice free throw shooting a lot. You never know in practice that a game is going to come down to two free throws in overtime, but that’s why we practice them.”

Pointers fans weren’t happy with the game’s ending. Emilee Whitt drove the lane and put up a 12-footer that bounced off the right side of the rim. The teams scrambled for the rebound and the horn sounded. The officials ruled the contest over, but then conferred with the clock operator, who confirmed the horn had sounded. They then discussed the play among themselves, before determining the game truly was over.

South Point used a tremendous rally to nearly salvage a game that it appeared to be out of as late as 6:05 of the fourth quarter when Fairland led 49-36. The Dragons led by as many as 14 points in the second half, but the Pointers hit five consecutive 3-point shots — two each by Whitt and Kate Mundy and one by Maddy Khounlavong — in a span of 2:20 of the fourth quarter to even the score at 49-49.

Fairland, which finished with a 35-14 rebounding edge, led 53-52 after Marshall made two free throws, but Mundy hit the second of two foul shots with 4 seconds left in regulation to send the contest to overtime.

Britney Thompson gave the Dragons a 55-53 lead on a baseline drive with 3:44 left, but Diamond Crawley swished a 3-pointer to put South Point ahead 56-55 with 3:17 remaining. Back came Fairland, as Thompson rebounded a missed shot and threw down court to Harlie Lyons for a layup giving Fairland a 57-56 lead with 45 seconds on the clock. Whitt responded with a jumper to give the Pointers a 58-57 advantage.

The Dragons worked the clock down to 11 seconds before calling timeout to set up a play for Marshall, who tied Lyons for game-high honors with 17 points. Marshall also grabbed 10 rebounds and blocked two shots. Kelsie Warnock snatched 10 rebounds.

Whitt led South Point, which committed just six turnovers to Fairland’s 18, with 15 points. Emilee Carey scored 13 and Mundy 10.

The Dragons, the defending OVC champions, have four league games remaining, one at Portsmouth, then home contests with Chesapeake, Gallia Academy and Rock Hill. The Dragons play a non-league contest at 7:30 p.m. Saturday at home against Eastern-Meigs.

FAIRLAND 17 14 14 8 6 — 59: E. Marshall 3, Lyons 17, A. Marshall 17, Warnock 8, Thompson 7, Stone 7.

SOUTH POINT 11 11 11 20 5 — 58: Whitt 15, Carey 13, Mundy 10, Khounlavong 9, Crawley 5, Perkey 6.

Update hourly