Related topics

Two Boys Burned While Making Homemade ‘Napalm’

August 8, 1996

NORTH ATTLEBORO, Mass. (AP) _ Two boys trying to make a napalm bomb from a recipe they found on the Internet were badly burned when the mixture blew up in their faces.

Michael Caponigro, 14, and Scott Landry, 11, mixed gasoline with sulfur shavings on Caponigro’s kitchen stove, police said Wednesday. That mix was described _ incorrectly _ as a recipe for napalm on an Internet posting called ``The Anarchy Cookbook,″ investigators said.

Both boys were taken to Sturdy Memorial Hospital in Attleboro with first- and second-degree burns Tuesday. Scott was treated and released, but Michael was moved Wednesday to Shriner’s Burns Institute in Boston, where his condition was fair but stable. Hospital officials said the youth had burns over 12 percent to 15 percent of his body.

Deputy Fire Chief Scott Erickson said the gasoline vapors were ignited by the heating element of the electric stove.

No charges were filed. Police said the incident remained under investigation.

The Internet has thousands of often-anonymous postings by self-described anarchists. Along with bomb recipes are warnings that those recipes are dangerous.

Update hourly