AP NEWS
Related topics

AP-IL--Illinois News Coverage Advisory 8:30 am, IL

July 5, 2018

Here’s a look at how AP’s general news coverage is shaping up in Illinois at 8:30 a.m. Questions about coverage plans are welcome and should be directed to the AP-Chicago bureau at 312-781-0500 or chifax@ap.org. Corey Williams is on the desk, followed by Ken Kusmer. A reminder this information is not for publication or broadcast, and these coverage plans are subject to change. Expected stories may not develop, or late-breaking and more newsworthy events may take precedence. Advisories and digests will keep you up to date. All times are Central.

UPCOMING TODAY:

TRUMP-SUPREME COURT

WASHINGTON — President Donald Trump is closing in on his next Supreme Court nominee, with three federal judges leading the competition to replace retiring Justice Anthony Kennedy. Trump’s top contenders for the vacancy at this time are federal appeals judges Amy Coney Barrett, Brett Kavanaugh and Raymond Kethledge, said a person familiar with Trump’s thinking who was not authorized to speak publicly. Working closely with a White House team and consulting with lawmakers and outside advisers, Trump has spent the week deliberating on the choice. He conducted interviews on Monday and Tuesday and has spoken to seven possible candidates. He has not yet publicly indicated that he has narrowed the list and could still consider others in the mix. By Catherine Lucey, Ken Thomas and Lisa Mascaro. SENT: 640 words, photos.

With:

TRUMP-SUPREME COURT-THE LATEST

BOEING-EMBRAER

NEW YORK — Boeing and the Brazilian jet maker Embraer will attempt to form a joint venture that would push the U.S. aerospace giant more aggressively into the regional aircraft market. The new company, which has faced heavy scrutiny from lawmakers in Brazil, is being valued at about $4.7 billion. The companies said Thursday that Boeing Co. will own 80 percent of the joint venture, and Embraer SA the remaining 20 percent. SENT: 210 words, photos.

IN BRIEF:

— BABY GORILLA-BROOKFIELD ZOO: A baby gorilla born a month ago at a zoo in suburban Chicago has been named Ali.

— CHICAGO-PIANOS IN THE PARKS: Pianos are returning to Chicago’s parks. The “Pianos in the Parks ” program to inspire neighborhoods to make music will run until Aug. 1.

— PENSION LAWSUIT: Illinois has reached a $20 million settlement with the Royal Bank of Scotland resulting from the bank’s marketing and sale of mortgage-backed securities a decade ago.

— SHERIFF’S DEPUTY-UNAUTHORIZED VIDEO: A northwestern Indiana sheriff’s deputy cleared four months ago of a rape charge has been suspended for posting an unauthorized social-media video.

— SEVERE WEATHER-ILLINOIS: Authorities say two people were critically injured by a lightning strike as people gathered for a Fourth of July fireworks show in northern Illinois and another person was hit by lightning after Chicago’s fireworks.

SPORTS:

BBA--WHITE SOX-ASTROS

HOUSTON — The White Sox travel to Houston to start a four-game series with the Astros. Game starts at 7:10 p.m.

___

If you have stories of regional or statewide interest, please email them to chifax@ap.org. If you have photos of regional or statewide interest, please send them to the AP state photo center in New York, 888-273-6867. For access to AP Newsroom and other technical issues, contact AP Customer Support at apcustomersupport@ap.org or 877-836-9477.

AP RADIO
Update hourly