Reporter Cleared of Terrorism Charges
ATHENS, Greece (AP) _ Paul Anastasiades, a Greek Cypriot reporter based here, has been cleared of threatening in 1983 to destroy the offices of Greece’s largest newspaper and kill members of its staff, according to court records released Monday.
A three-member council of district attorneys ruled last week that Anastasiades should not stand trial because charges against him were not filed within three months of the alleged incidents, as required by Greek law, the documents said.
The development was the latest in a legal battle spawned by Anastasiades’ claim that the daily Ethnos (Nation) began publishing in 1981 with the support of the KGB, the Soviet intelligence service.
Ethnos claimed in reply that Anastasiades was a CIA agent plotting to kill employees of the newspaper, destroy the premises and undermine democracy in Greece.
Anastasiades, who writes under the name Paul Anastasi, is a correspondent for the Daily Telegraph of London and a part-time correspondent for The New York Times.
″The effect of this latest decision is that Anastasiades is innocent of the charges and Ethnos still is facing two trials,″ said Zissis Constantinou, a lawyer for Anastasiades.
In May, Anastasiades sued the paper’s publisher, George Bobolas; its editor, Alexander Filippopoulos, and three staff members for defamation of character, perjury, filing false charges and insulting authorities. No trial date has been set.
Bobolas and Filippopoulos also face retrial on allegations that they tapped Anastasiades’ phone at the Athens office of The New York Times.
Anastasiades, 35, was convicted two years ago of libeling Ethnos in a book, but his two-year sentence was halved on appeal and then converted to a fine.