TARBORO, N.C. (AP) — Authorities have filed charges against a North Carolina woman who they say bit a deputy while swallowing crack cocaine.
WNCN-TV in Raleigh reports the Edgecombe County...
Former North Carolina state Rep. Joe Tolson dies at 77
TARBORO, N.C. (AP) — A longtime North Carolina Democratic legislator and budget writer who focused on education, technology and the rural economy has died.
The brother of nine-term Rep. Joe Tolson of Edgecombe County says he died Sunday at Vidant Edgecombe Hospital in Tarboro at age 77. Norris Tolson said Monday his younger brother died after suffering a breathing and lung ailment for the past couple of years.
Woman faces robbery charge in case of mayor, wife found dead
LEGGETT, N.C. (AP) — Authorities say three suspects are now facing charges in connection with the shooting deaths of the mayor of a small North Carolina town and his wife.
The Edgecombe County Sheriff's Office said in a news release Saturday afternoon that detectives have arrested Dakeithia Nesha Andrews of Rocky Mount on a charge of conspiracy robbery with a dangerous weapon.
Mayor of small North Carolina town, wife found dead at home
LEGGETT, N.C. (AP) — North Carolina authorities said Friday that they have charged a man with murder in the shooting deaths of the mayor of a tiny town and his wife, who were found dead at their home.
Edgecombe County Sheriff Cleveland Atkinson said at a news conference that 25-year-old Keith Williams of Tarboro was being held on a first-degree murder charge. The sheriff said another person of interest in the case was in custody on unrelated charges.
The Latest: Man charged in death of small-town mayor
LEGGETT, N.C. (AP) — The Latest on the killing of a mayor of a small North Carolina town and his wife (all times local):
North Carolina authorities say a suspect has been charged with murder in the shooting deaths of the mayor of a tiny town and his wife.
Authorities ID officer and burglary suspect from shooting
TARBORO, N.C. (AP) — Authorities in North Carolina have identified a police officer and the burglary suspect he fatally shot last week.
ABC 11 reported Saturday that the officer is Bryan Baker, a 14-year veteran of the Tarboro Police Department. The burglary suspect has been identified as 37-year-old Sebastian Siney Chamale.
Officer shoots, kills burglary suspect in North Carolina
TARBORO, N.C. (AP) — Police in North Carolina say an officer shot and killed a burglary suspect.
Tarboro Police Chief Jesse Webb tells news outlets that officers responding to a burglary at a home Tuesday night confronted the suspect near the back door. Police said in a release that an officer fired a gun after "a brief encounter" with the suspect. Police aren't saying whether the suspect had a weapon.
TARBORO, N.C. (AP) — Authorities have accused a North Carolina woman of stealing $13,000 from the elderly couple she was supposed to care for.
The Edgecombe County Sheriff's Office told local news outlets 36-year-old Nekeya Jenkins was hired on May 26, and in less than a month had stolen the couple's personal checks and debit cards.
The sheriff's office said the husband has since died due to medical issues.
TARBORO, N.C. (AP) — Authorities are investigating the strangulation of a woman found dead a month ago at a North Carolina assisted living center.
No arrests have been made in the death of 75-year-old Rebecca Eudy, who was found April 5 at Open Fields Assisted Living in Tarboro.
Her death certificate says Eudy asphyxiated and suffered traumatic injuries to her neck.
A Michigan man has been charged with befriending a Tarboro 15-year-old over social media and then coming to North Carolina to sexually assault the teen, police said Tuesday.
Andrew Charles Sedenquist, 32, of Comstock Park, Mich., is charged with kidnapping, two counts of statutory rape or sex offense against a 13-, 14- or 15-year-old and solicitation of a child by computer. He is being held in the Edgecombe County jail under a $1 million bond.
4 arrested after investigation into deputy’s fatal crash
RALEIGH, N.C. (AP) — State law enforcement officers have arrested four people in connection with the death of a North Carolina sheriff's deputy who lost control of his patrol car during a chase.
The State Bureau of Investigation said in a news release Wednesday that agents of N.C. Alcohol Law Enforcement arrested four people on alcohol, drug and obstruction of justice charges.
A Pinetops man who authorities said was driving erratically was charged Wednesday in connection with the death of an Edgecombe County deputy who was trying to stop him, authorities said.
Deputy David L. Manning spotted a Nissan Altima speeding on N.C. Highway 111 north of Pinetops shortly after 6 p.m. on March 11 and made a U-turn to follow the car, authorities have said. His patrol car then collided with a Chevrolet Silverado, and he was killed in the crash.
The Latest: Some students face suspensions after walkout
The Latest on the nationwide student walkout to protest gun violence (all times local):
Fifteen North Carolina students have been suspended for walking out of class during a nationwide protest against gun violence, but their principal also lauded their resolve.
WITN-TV in Greenville reports 16 students at North East Carolina Prep School in Tarboro walked out of class Wednesday.
TARBORO, N.C. (AP) — A sheriff's deputy has died in a crash during a chase in eastern North Carolina.
News outlets reported an Edgecombe County sheriff's deputy was killed in the wreck about 6:15 p.m. Sunday about 3 miles (5 kilometers) south of Tarboro.
Police: Officer’s car hit by bullets after traffic stop
TARBORO, N.C. (AP) — Police in eastern North Carolina say a hidden gunman shot at an officer as he was driving away from a brief traffic stop.
The Tarboro police department said Sunday that the officer found bullet holes in his cruiser after hearing what sounded like thuds hitting the trunk. Police in the town 75 miles (121 kilometers) east of Raleigh say they later found evidence pointing to several shots fired at the officer from a concealed location.
Officials in Edgecombe County are investigating after suspects fired gunshots at an officer's patrol car Saturday night.
Around 10:30 p.m., an officer with the Tarboro Police Department stopped a car near the intersection of East Avenue and Edmondson Avenue.
Edgecombe County Public Schools closed five schools Friday after a "major leak" in the Town of Tarboro's water system.
The district announced the closures in a post on its Facebook page. The schools are Martin Millennium Academy, Pattillo Middle School, Princeville Elementary, Stocks Elementary and Tarboro High School.
The district said the day will be an optional work day for staff at the closed schools, but all other schools in the district will hold class as usual.
- WRAL-TVTarboro man, 66, accused of cutting wife's throatMarch 24, 2019
- WRAL-TVTarboro returns to state championship, beats Holmes in regional finalDecember 9, 2018
- WRAL-TVTarboro assisted living facility where resident was strangled has license revokedJuly 20, 2018
- WRAL-TVMajor construction projects underway for Johnston County driversJuly 9, 2018
- WRAL-TVAssisted living center strangulation suspect a convicted child rapistMay 14, 2018
Highway Patrol: Man, 4-year-old girl killed in car crash
TARBORO, N.C. (AP) — The North Carolina Highway Patrol says a man and a 4-year-old girl have been killed in a crash.
WITN-TV in Greenville reports troopers say 38-year-old Antonio Kenneth Coleman of Tarboro was driving north on N.C. Highway 111 around 3 a.m. Thursday when his car ran off the road, hit a ditch and flipped several times.
Football state championships kick off this afternoon
By the end of the day, eight football teams from the state of North Carolina will be crowned state champions.
The N.C. High School Athletic Association football state championships kick off on Saturday afternoon, beginning at 12 p.m.
Officers find stolen gun after Edgecombe County chase
Authorities found a gun stolen from a car parked on the campus of Duke University after a car chase last week in Edgecombe County.
Edgecombe County sheriff's deputies and Tarboro police officers saw a person behaving suspiciously on Nov. 22 in east Tarboro. Authorities said the driver sped away in a car and ran several stop signs.
NC town founded by freed slaves to rebuild flooded school
TARBORO, N.C. (AP) — Education leaders have agreed that the elementary school in a North Carolina town founded by freed slaves will be rebuilt and should reopen in fall 2018, two years after Hurricane Matthew flooded it.
The Rocky Mount Telegram reports that the Edgecombe County Board of Education voted Tuesday to rebuild Princeville Elementary School. The vote elicited applause and tears.
As storm’s anniversary nears, Cooper visiting battered town
TARBORO, N.C. (AP) — Hurricane Matthew pummeled eastern North Carolina with winds and rain a year ago this weekend. Now Gov. Roy Cooper is back in the region to talk about future recovery plans and a community destroyed by river flooding.
Cooper is expected to participate in a round table discussion Tuesday in Edgecombe County, not far from Princeville, which was submerged by both Matthew in 2016 and Hurricane Floyd in 1999.
Tarboro man held without bond in rape of 13-year-old runaway
An Edgecombe County man is facing a charge of statutory rape after being found in a home with a teenage runaway Monday morning.
Tarboro police responded to a home on Kathryn Lane early Monday morning in response to a reported runaway.
When they arrived, officers found a 13-year-old sleeping inside the house with German Cruz Capetillo, 30, and determined that the pair had engaged in sexual activity.
Edgecombe County sheriff’s deputy involved in fatal wreck
The North Carolina Highway Patrol is investigating after a deputy with the Edgecombe County Sheriff's Office was involved in a fatal crash Wednesday afternoon.
Design workshop aims at making plans for North Carolina town
TARBORO, N.C. (AP) — Teams of planners, engineers and architects are gathering for a community design workshop aimed at developing plans for the first North Carolina town established by blacks.
North Carolina man accused of seeking mother, teen for sex
TARBORO, N.C. (AP) — Authorities say a North Carolina man tried to lure a woman and her 14-year-old daughter by computer for sex.
WITN-TV in Greenville reports 64-year-old Jerry Holloman is facing several charges, including solicitation of a child by computer or other electronic device. Edgecombe County
Sheriff Clee Atkinson said Holloman was arrested in Tarboro on Wednesday at a location that was set up to meet the child and mother.
Authorities arrested a Tarboro man on Wednesday for allegedly trying to solicit sex from an underage girl.
Jerry Holloman, 64, was charged with solicitation of a child by computer or other electronic device and solicitation of a child by computer or other electronic device to commit an unlawful sex act resulting in appearance at meeting location, according to the Edgecombe County Sheriff's Office. He was jailed under a $1 million bond.
An Eastern North Carolina plastics plant is shutting down.
General Foam Products Corporation in Tarboro is laying off all of its 215 local employees.
The layoffs will begin in mid-October and continue until the end of the year.
A Tarboro man who was jailed earlier this month on a child sex charge was found dead from an apparent suicide, according to NBC affiliate WITN.
The State Bureau of Investigation said 61-year-old Thomas Kinsley was found dead on June 17 in his Edgecombe County Detention Center jail cell. Kinsley had been on suicide watch for several days, according to the television station.
Kinsley was charged with indecent liberties with a minor.
RALEIGH, N.C. (AP) — Flooding continues in eastern North Carolina after the storms that dumped up to 8 inches of rain earlier this week.
Schools are closed in Edgecombe County again Friday.
The National Weather Service has flood warnings in effect in 15 counties in central and eastern North Carolina.
Edgecombe County schools announced it would be closed Friday as some parts of the county are still waiting to dry out after rain brought flooding to the area.
The Tar River through Tarboro is expected to crest Sunday at 28.1 feet, which is moderate flood stage for the town. The rising water will flood some fields and a few roads near the river.
Communities in Edgecombe County spent Thursday drying out from the latest round of flooding. Areas east of Rocky Mount and south of Tarboro took the brunt of the hit, and now residents are hoping it does not get worse.
"We've seen it two times this year, and then Floyd," said George Joyner, who owns a home in Rocky Mount.
The Tar River crested overnight in Rocky Mount as several areas in Edgecombe County flooded on Thursday.
The river crested at 25.7 feet, which is just above major flood stage at 25 feet. The water level in Rocky Mount will fall quickly, though.
"It's likely to be below flood stage (in Rocky Mount) by Sunday," said WRAL meteorologist Elizabeth Garnder. "Not just below major flood stage, but all the way below flood stage—below 19 feet."
With the Tar River still rising and several roads impassable, Edgecombe County officials on Wednesday declared a state of emergency and warned residents in flood-prone areas to closely monitor river levels in the coming days.
Edgecombe County schools announced that classes would be canceled Thursday as a result of weather conditions and Nash-Rocky Mount schools will operate on a 2-hour delay.
RALEIGH, N.C. (AP) — The Latest on flooding in North Carolina (all times local):
North Carolina Gov. Roy Cooper is telling residents not to drop their guard over flooding despite the first sunny skies in several days.
Cooper issued a statement on Wednesday saying forecasters are still predicting some rivers could crest as late as Monday and that people need to remain alert for more flooding.
Rains gone but flooding threatens eastern North Carolina
RALEIGH, N.C. (AP) — The rains have gone but flooding still poses a problem in much of eastern North Carolina.
The National Weather Service reports that flooding is possible along several major rivers in the state through the end of the week.
A flood warning was in effect in central North Carolina, including Raleigh, Durham, Cary, Rocky Mount, Goldsboro, Tarboro and Smithfield until midday Wednesday.
Gov. Roy Cooper visited Edgecombe County Thursday to tour areas still struggling to recover from devastation left behind by Hurricane Matthew.
It's been five months since the storm tore through the eastern part of North Carolina, leaving behind widespread damage in dozens of communities. More than 100 families in Edgecombe County are still living in hotels after their homes were flooded.
The town of Princeville is asking for help dealing with a housing crisis caused by Hurricane Matthew.
A Quality Inn in Tarboro is currently home for 46 families who were flooded out of their homes in October. More than 50 additional families are living in other hotels across Edgecombe County.
Paulette Johnson has been living in the Quality Inn since the flood. She said five months in a hotel has not been easy.
"There's no room, space or food. You spend money all the time on food," she said.
A company that assembles and tests electrical components for Honda vehicles plans to expand its Edgecombe County operations, adding 42 jobs over the next three years, officials said Thursday.
Keihin Carolina System Technology will invest more than $13 million at its Tarboro plant.
Winter Weather Advisory still in effect for most of NC
RALEIGH, N.C. (AP) — Winter weather is still holding on in most of North Carolina right now, even though warmer temperatures are expected later this week.
The National Weather Service issued a winter weather advisory Tuesday for 62 of the state's 100 counties stretching from Robbinsville in extreme western North Carolina east to Tarboro.
Experts to teach NC storm victims how to preserve heirlooms
TARBORO, N.C. (AP) — Preservation experts are coming to Tarboro to teach victims of Hurricane Matthew how to preserve damaged treasures such as photos, artwork, quilts and other heirlooms.
Experts from the emergency support team at the North Carolina Department of Natural and Cultural Resources will lead a session from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Monday at the Edgecombe County Disaster Recovery Center on West Howard Avenue.
Edgecombe County residents and victims of Hurricane Matthew attended a meeting Friday in Tarboro to discuss what's next in the recovery process.
Many residents still have nowhere to go and no place to call home six weeks after the storm pummeled parts of the state.
"We are tired of running. We'd like to move farther from the river," said Daisy Staton, chair of the Princeville housing authority.
Road to recovery could test patience of Matthew victims
TARBORO, N.C. (AP) — Tiajuana Williams lives in a one-story apartment building in Princeville, North Carolina, that was flooded by a river bulging with rainwater from Hurricane Matthew. Before driving out of town in her Honda Civic ahead of the storm, she hurriedly packed a small bag with little more than a change of clothes.
Now, even while seeking aid to replace her belongings and arrange long-term housing, she has more pressing needs: "I ain't got no clothes. I left my clothes in there!"
North Carolina governor: Flooded historic town will get help
TARBORO, N.C. (AP) — Floodwaters as high as some rooflines swamped one of the country's oldest towns chartered by African-Americans, setting up a daunting rebuilding effort for the second time in less than 20 years.
On Friday, Gov. Pat McCrory met with Princeville residents and town officials to pledge support after flooding spawned by Hurricane Matthew. The town was also inundated in 1999 after Hurricane Floyd.
17 years after devastation, historic town floods again
TARBORO, N.C. (AP) — Amanda Brown clutched a green folder with personal documents while she waited to speak to a FEMA representative along the banks of the river threatening to inundate her town.
She lives in Princeville, a historic town of about 2,000 that's considered one of the oldest chartered by blacks in the U.S. It was devastated in 1999 after Hurricane Floyd's torrential rains, and it has started flooding again after Hurricane Matthew.
Floodwaters surround homes, businesses in Princeville
A town that made headlines following Hurricane Floyd in 1999 is dealing with a similar scenario in the aftermath of Hurricane Matthew.
Princeville, the oldest town in the country incorporated by African-Americans, was flooded Wednesday afternoon as water from the Tar River made its way past a levee designed to protect the town.
The Tar River had been expected to crest Wednesday afternoon at about 36 feet.
Governor: Dangers from Matthew will continue as rivers crest
TARBORO, N.C. (AP) — Skies cleared Sunday over much of North Carolina, but the danger posed by Hurricane Matthew was likely to remain through at least the end of the week, when rivers could top or come close to records set 16 years ago by Hurricane Floyd.
Eight people have died in Hurricane Matthew, and five are missing, Gov. Pat McCrory said. Evacuations had started in some towns and were being considered in others, he said. More than 770,000 remained without power.