AP NEWS

Second person with measles confirmed in San Antonio area

March 21, 2019

A second case of measles has been confirmed in the San Antonio area, the Metropolitan Health District said Wednesday.

Anita Kurian, head of the Communicable Disease Division at Metro Health, said the case was confirmed by state laboratory testing and involved a person in their 20s who was immunized against the highly contagious virus. The vaccine is not effective for a small percentage of people.

FIND OUT FIRST: Get San Antonio breaking news directly to your inbox

The person is no longer infectious, she said.

The newly diagnosed case is related to another case of measles confirmed in the area earlier this month. That person was an adult visiting Guadalupe County from the Philippines, where there was an active outbreak.

The visitor exposed the Bexar County resident after visiting two health-care facilities in San Antonio, Kurian said. The traveler was diagnosed as an outpatient by University Health System, and the case was confirmed by state health officials March 6.

The last time Bexar County had an officially confirmed case of measles was 2007, when three people were infected, according to state data.

Lauren Caruba covers health care and medicine in the San Antonio and Bexar County area. Read her on our free site, mySA.com, and on our subscriber site, ExpressNews.com. | lcaruba@express-news.net | Twitter: @LaurenCaruba