Accused killer rejects 50-year plea bargain
BRIDGEPORT - An undocumented immigrant, accused of fatally stabbing his girlfriend, seriously wounded her best friend and fleeing the state with their 6-year-old daughter, rejected a 50-year plea bargain Wednesday.
Oscar “Ziggy” Hernandez told Superior Court Judge Robert Devlin he would rather go to trial.
“Then we will begin jury selection,” the judge said.
Hernandez is charged with murder, attempted murder, first-degree assault and risk of injury to a minor.
During a brief hearing, Senior Assistant State’s Attorney Joseph Corradino told Devlin he had offered to recommend Hernandez get the 50-year term if he pleaded guilty to the charges.
Devlin said based on the charges he would not consider giving Hernandez less than that.
“I understand that offer is not acceptable to you?” the judge asked Hernandez.
“No,” Hernandez replied.
Hernandez had been living with his girlfriend, 26-year-old Nidia “Yubi” Gonzalez, and their 6-year-old daughter Aylin, in a small, two-bedroom basement apartment on Greenwood Street when in the early morning of Feb. 24, 2017, police said Hernandez fatally stabbed Gonzalez in a jealous rage and wounded her friend.
Hernandez then fled with his daughter leading police on a three-state pursuit before finally crashing in central Pennsylvania.
Hernandez was previously convicted of choking an estranged wife in their apartment in 2008 on Stamford’s East Side. Hernandez was convicted three years later and deported in 2013.
But authorities said he illegally returned to the U.S.
If convicted of the charges against him Hernandez could be sentenced to more than 100 years in prison.