Related topics

Bryant Said to Call 911 Before Surrender

August 2, 2003

NEWPORT BEACH, Calif. (AP) _ Kobe Bryant called 911 the day before he surrendered to police on a sexual assault accusation, and medics later treated a female at his home, officials said Friday.

The Los Angeles Lakers star hung up the phone without talking, but a dispatcher called back, speaking to three people, including Bryant, before sending police and paramedics, Sgt. Steve Shulman said. Medics arrived at 12:40 a.m.

``He confirmed that the reason for the call that he made initially was for medical assistance at the residence and the medical assistance was not for him, it was for someone else,″ Shulman said.

Bryant made the call the day before he returned to Colorado on July 4 to surrender to police. He has been charged with one count of felony sexual assault against a 19-year-old employee at the Lodge & Spa at Cordillera near Edwards, Colo. He had been in Colorado for surgery on his knee.

Bryant, who is free on $25,000 bail, is expected to make his first court appearance Wednesday. He has said his accuser had sex with him willingly.

Following the 911 call from Bryant’s home, police determined there was no criminal conduct and no report was taken, Shulman said. He characterized the call as a ``medical assistance call.″

Medics treated a female at the house but did not need to take her to the hospital, said Vickie Cleary, emergency services manager for the Newport Beach Fire Department.

No further details were immediately available, and it was unclear whether the medics treated a woman or child. Bryant and his wife, Vanessa, had a baby girl in January.

Paramedics were summoned to the house for a similar medical emergency on March 5, Cleary said. During that call, paramedics took a female to the hospital after evaluating and treating her at the home.

``A friend of the (patient) arrived and assumed responsibility for her baby and he secured the home,″ a report by fire officials read in part. Medics spent an hour at the house before taking the woman by ambulance.

Cleary did not say whether the female treated was the same for both calls.

Krista Flannigan, a spokeswoman for the Eagle County prosecutor, declined comment about the report detailing the Bryant 911 call.

A telephone message seeking comment from Bryant’s attorneys in Denver was not returned.

Update hourly