Related topics

Golfer Duval Burns Thumb on Teapot

June 11, 1999

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. (AP) _ David Duval managed to avoid injury while snowboarding on the slopes of Idaho during the winter. The real danger came Friday morning from a tea pot on the gas stove in his new house.

Duval, the No. 1 player in the world and one of the favorites heading into the U.S. Open, sustained second-degree burns on his right thumb and forefinger picking up a tea pot.

Bev Norwood, a spokesman for Duval at International Management Group, said Duval is expected to play the U.S. Open, which starts Thursday at Pinehurst No. 2 in North Carolina, although he may not practice again until Monday or Tuesday.

Duval could not be reached for comment.

The injury occurred after Duval moved into his new house in Ponte Vedra Beach on Monday. Norwood said the gas stove made the tea pot handle hotter than the electric stove in his previous house, and that Duval didn’t realize it until he picked up the pot.

A four-time winner on the PGA Tour this year who already has earned more than $2.8 million, Duval replaced Tiger Woods as No. 1 in the world rankings with his victory in The Players Championship. He also won the Bob Hope Classic with the only final-round 59 in PGA history.

Duval was the favorite going into the Masters and was making a strong move in the final round until a double bogey on No. 11. He wound up tied for sixth, five strokes back of Jose Maria Olazabal.

He missed the cut for the first time in 15 events in New Orleans, took three weeks off and then finished in a tie for third in the Memorial Tournament last week.

Update hourly